Next deadlines for Horizon 2020 SME Instrument approaching: let’s innovate!
To apply for this grant, you need to be an innovative SME. Moreover, you must have less than 250 employees and 1- either an annual turnover inferior or equal to €50M or 2- an annual balance sheet inferior or equal to €43M
Note that the competition is very tough and the committee will only select only the most innovative and groundbreaking projects.
Phase I – 15 February 2017
Phase II – 8 January 2017
To apply for this grant, you need to be an “innovative SME”. To fit the definition, a company must be engaged in an economic activity, and have less than 250 employees. It must also have an annual turnover of no more than €50 M and/or an annual balance sheet of no more than €43 M.
Note that unfortunately, the competition is very tough. Only the most innovative and groundbreaking projects are selected.
Depending on the maturity of your project, you can apply to either a Phase I or a Phase II funding.
- Phase 1 is designed to help companies at an early stage. It helps them turn a proof-of-concept into a prototype. The funds (€50 000) can finance R&D, technical feasibility studies and commercial potential studies. The goal of it is to help companies scale up their project by developing a credible business plan. The projects should last about 6 months.
- Phase 2 helps companies develop a market-ready product/service/process. A Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of 6 or above may be required. Projects will receive between €0.5 M and €2.5 M but you can request a higher or lower amount, duly justified, when applying. Projects should normally take 12 to 24 months to complete but could be longer in exceptional and well-justified cases.
How to apply
The EU Commission has provided an online manual to help you through the process. It is available here.
There are three sections in this application:
- the first section is the administrative one
- followed by the description of the project (section B – annexes 1-3)
- and the description of the company (section B – annexes 4-5).
How to get the grant
If you write the application yourself you have 10% chance of having the grant, if we write the application it goes up to 25%. If you want to see how interesting it is to work with us on such an application, you can read our economic case study on EU funding application.
Don’t waste your time and money, get in touch!